Leaders from the federal member states have converged in the capital of the federal state of Galmudug to iron out issues of concern. The federal member state leaders had several rounds of meetings before they reached an agreement and presented a joint communiqué.
The Presidents of Federal member states were joined by the President, Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo and Prime Minister Hassan Ali Kheyre in the second phase as planned.
The meeting kicked off on 19th July and was concluded yesterday 22nd, the main agendas that were discussed included security situation in the country, economic situation of the country and the upcoming general election.
The meeting was attended by the Prime Minister of the Federal Government of Somalia, H.E. Hassan Ali Kheyre, the Presidents of the States, Galmudug State President, H.E Ahmed Abdi Kariye, Hirshabelle State president, H.E Mohamed Abdi Waare, Puntland State President, H.E Said Abdullahi Dani, Southwest State President, H.E Abdiaziz Hassan Mohamed and Jubbaland State, H.E Ahmed Mohamed Islam.
After the meeting between the leaders and the tactical teams from each state, a number of issues were agreed upon including.
- Strengthen the unity of the country and people, bringing all regions of Somalia together by resolving dividing issues
- The leaders agreed to work together among themselves and with the federal government, they agreed to cooperate on promoting peace and fighting the terrorist groups in the country.
- They agreed to strengthen the individual and general economy of the country, this will be done by identifying and setting up important stimulants that will develop the economy. They also agreed to work together to attain total debt reprieve for Somalia.
- The officials agreed to hold national election in timely manner. The process leading to the general election will be transparent and will be a process that all members approve.
- They agreed to form a committee that will comprise of members from federal government and from each federal member state. The main task of this committee will be to recommend appropriate actions that will guide the election process.
- The officials agreed to meet again in Dhusamareb in two weeks’ time to finalize the election agenda and produce a guiding policy that all parties agree.
- The attendees thanked the government and people of Galmudug for the warm reception and for facilitating this historic meeting and they appreciated for the reconciliation efforts and their selflessness in uniting the country.
- Lastly the leaders thanked the international community for the contributions they have made towards state building and promoting law and order.