Radio Muqdisho Established during the colonial period in Italian, Radio Mogadishu initially broadcast news items in both and . Transmissions in Somali at the station first began in 1943; concurrent with the start of Somali language programming, Radio Mogadishu was modernized with assistance following independence in 1960, and began offering home service in Somali. After closing down operations due to the civil war that broke out in 1991, the station was officially re-opened in the early 2000s by the Transitional National Government of former President of Somalia, Abdiqasim Salad Hassan.
Prior to the Somali Army‘s ultimate pacification of the capital in August 2011, Radio Mogadishu operated from a walled compound guarded by armed soldiers. The station’s staff routinely broadcast news, talk shows and music despite threats of violence. Radio Mogadishu presently broadcasts from downtown Mogadishu. In the late 2000s, the station also launched a complementary website of the same name, with news items in Somali, Arabic and English.
Radio Muqdisho is the federal government-run radio station of Somalia. Is a state corporation established to provide independent and impartial broadcasting services of information, education and entertainment in Somali languages that the corporation may decide.
Somalia’s most reliable, dynamic and trusted broadcaster.
To provide leadership in transmission of objective, informative, educative and entertaining content to the public through high quality broadcasts.
· Quality services
· Innovation and creativity
· Social responsibility
· Competitiveness and value for money
· Honesty and integrity
· Respect for national, cultural, religious, family values and diversity
Principles & Values of Public Service
Radio Mogadishu is responsible for implementation of Government policies and programmes as guided by the following values and principles of public service
· Accountability for administrative acts
· Efficient, effective and economic use of resources
· High standards of professional ethics
· Involvement of the people in the process of policy making
· Maintain high levels of professionalism and work ethics.
· Responsive, prompt, effective, impartial and equitable provision of services
· Transparency and provision to the public of timely, accurate information
Radio Mogadishu will be bound by the national values and principles of governance this Include:
· Democracy and Participation of the people
· Good governance
· Human dignity
· National Unity
· Rule of Law
· Social Justice
· Sharing and Devolution of Power
· Increased understanding among the people on the government development policies and strategies.
· Impart knowledge on the process of effective communication with key publics.
· Promote an effective approach to the use of radio and television as tools for National Development.
Our Services include;
· PUBLIC SERVICE RADIOS
· To lead the Broadcasting and Communication Industry through quality programming this promotes the development and cultural aspirations of Somalia.
· To undertake viable Commercial activities that promotes the aspirations of the Corporation.
· To identify environmental challenges in the media that has affected Radio Mogadishu.
· To determine competitive strategies adopted by Radio Mogadishu to cope with environmental challenges.
· To Become a center of excellence in technical and professional mass media training in the region
· To Train employees in mass media for both technical and media markets.
· Monitor and conduct research in communication, media and information technology and
· Update media personnel on current trends in technological development.
· Partner with media houses and co-produce professional programmes.
· Produce media programmes and broadcast the same through its broadcast frequency.
· Provide to interested programmes for information and research.